Building Information Modelling (BIM) has become one of the most promising developments in the architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) industries, and fundamentally it is changing the way the construction industry works. In recent years, the industry has shifted from traditional two-dimensional drawings, drafts, and designs to 3D visualizations. And worldwide has adopted the BIM concepts and technologies of Building Information Modelling and there is an upward demand for the digitalization of the existing building stock.
“Scan-to-BIM (popularly known as Point Cloud to BIM) referred to the process of 3D laser scanning a physical space or site, to create an accurate digital point cloud of the structure and using scans BEM software, bridge the gap between a separate digital point cloud and one that can be used inside the Autodesk Revit platform. That representation can then be used for designing, assessing progress or evaluation options.”
Scan-to-BIM is a technology that came as a breakthrough in the construction industries as it is accelerating rapidly as it provides a faster, captures dimensions, volume quickly, efficiently, a highly detailed and accurate structural profile for capturing survey data critical for refurbishment or retro-fitting existing projects.
Point clouds resulting from scan data are massively powerful for analysis on their own. Converting scan data into BIM models is customarily a three-step process: First, from different scanning stations, multiple scans are captured from. Second, data from multiple scanning stations is stitched together in what is commonly known as the post-processing or registration stage. Next, CAD or BIM software can be used to author object models while referencing the point cloud.
It is clear that Scan to BIM is the future of AEC industry and produces high definition scanning has practical, time (faster than 2D drawings) and cost-saving applications especially at the initial stages of repositioning projects and increase the accuracy of project information.
There are the various software’s in the market currently for AEC & CAD Industry, but out of them there are 5 major software’s in the market has set a record of creating a huge demand in the last few years. We figured out why these software’s adoption rate was higher and what are their strong features that create a huge dependency among the Architects, Contractors, Modelers & Renderers for their efficient work. Here are the TOP 5 Sofware’s that has the major market share in CAD & AEC Industry.
- Revit (BIM):
In this current BIM Scenario REVIT is the tool that holds the major market share in the AEC Industry of almost 48% as per NBS Report 2017. It is used for Architecture design, Modeling & Documentation of any project and its developed by Autodesk INC.
Revit is Allowing Architects, engineers, and the Construction Industry to make changes in real time. It can track the amount of time each person spends working on the project, projecting construction costs and timing from the beginning of a building; thus, helping construction meet completion goals better than ever before. It also tells the AEC information right down to what, when, and where the building will need maintenance.
Here are the top 5 benefits of using Revit on your BIM Project.
- Better Collaboration Using Revit
- Best for resolving conflicts between Project Members.
- Revit is Detailed Oriented (Provides all informatory data required to the respective coordinating members using BIM 360 Tool).
- It’s been easy to visualize your project and also the simulation of the project using Revit.
- Identify & Meet with clients with a splendid presentation using Revit.
- ArchiCAD (BIM) :
ArchiCAD is the 2nd most commonly used software for BIM Projects and it’s been adopted by an average of 18% market by AEC Industry. ArchiCAD has been developed by Graphisoft by keeping various problems and their solutions for many divergent segments in the AEC Industry.
Top 5 benefits for ArchiCAD :
- Enhanced Capacity of maintaining the productivity by making real-time projects collaborations easier and faster.
- Intelligently designed for Architects by focusing on their needs.
- Easy to learn and not heavy duty functions which also reduce the IT Cost.
- ArchiCAD is a server-based technology and it empowers firms for easy configuration for any size of projects.
- Maintain the competition by overcoming from the risk of delays of documentation and design process.
- Primavera (BIM): Project Planning & Scheduling
#BIM TOOLS #CAD TOOLS
#RENDERING TOOLS #ARCHITECTURAL TOOLS
By using primavera we can prepare any business project portfolio. It has been opted by almost 70% of the individuals in AEC Industry. Primavera handles large-scale and mature projects very easily and it has been developed by Oracle INC.
Here are the top benefits of using Primavera :
- Maintain your resource capacity
- Planning & Scheduling of any convoluted projects is now easier by using Primavera P6.
- Optimize your resources by tracking and by designating best resources.
- After the Planning phase, it’s very important to visualize and monitor your project performance according to your plan and we can do that using Primavera.
- Project performance analysis gives an idea of any errors by which we can make alternate project pans.
- Solidworks (Mechanical CAD) :
SOLIDWORKS is a parametric-based 3D modeling CAD software and is been adopted by more than 1,50,000 companies worldwide. Apart from dominating manufacturing sector, This 3D Modelling software has also been used in the interior, architectural and medicine industries to name a few.
SOLIDWORKS provides a wide platform for solid modeling, as well as for surface modeling both controlled parametrically. Parametric 3d modeling is a modeling technique in which geometries are controlled by using numeric parameters like the diameter of a circle and geometry based parameters like concentricity and perpendicularity. Hence one can capture design intent to change the product’s geometry and shape throughout the product development process.
Here are the Top Advantages of Using SOLIDWORKS,
- User-friendly Interface making it easier to learn as compared to other CAD software.
- Easy to manipulate design at any stage in the product development phase.
- Real view graphics allow the model to be visualize rendered view in real time.
- Integrated add-ons help’s in analyzing dynamics, kinematics etc.
- This 3D Modelling software minimizes the time and development cost and allows you to make the design process effortless.
@BIMNCAD, Source: www.bimncad.com
- Autodesk 3DS Max (Architecture & Interiors Renderings) :
3Ds Max is a product by Autodesk INC, it has been diversified across the Engineering and Construction (AEC) business and has strong 3D modeling & Rendering capabilities.
3Ds Max consists of the many wealthy options that facilitate the modelers, the renders and also the designers to form unflawed photo-realistic 3D pictures also as 3D animations of any construction component.
Here are the top benefits of using 3Ds Max for 3D CAD Modeling & Rendering in the AEC Industry:
- In 3D animation services particularly the structural, the mechanical animation & in AEC industry, 3Ds Max 2018 has created notable improvements in the visualization, the motion graphics, the visual effects, etc.
- 3ds Max is a digital content creation software package, It can even produce 3d printable elements within the laptop which will replace human effort or sophisticate designed device
- It helps Modelers, Renderers and also the alternative users to increase their efficiency because of the diversification in 3D CAD Modeling, 3D Renderings, and Animation features.
- 3ds Max incorporates a dialog tool referred to as Material Editor that enables users to create & edit materials and maps in their scenes. they’ll be able to apply artistic textures, as well as, simulate refractions, reflections, and many effects as they assign materials to things.
- You can now link objects together in 3Ds Max, As a result, it allows the user to form hierarchies and can animate sets of objects in once.
Like many other countries construction in India is booming to keep pace with the growing need for both urban development and new infrastructures. At the same time technology is moving quickly to assist with these complicated developments with a key player emerging as Building Information Modelling (BIM). This article looks at the benefits of hiring a BIM agency in India and what this could cost to help construction companies consider whether this is the right option for their project.
What benefits are there to using BIM?
In a nutshell, BIM is assisting the AECO industry to reduce delays and costly overruns, implementation of more advanced 5D BIM also can avoid potential litigation. A 3D digital model of the planned construction is produced to allow design issues to be resolved before building even starts; more data can be analysed alongside the model to include scheduling and cost information thus avoiding costly delays dues to clashes as well as expensive reworking, this is 4D BIM. For a complete visualisation of the project, 5D BIM considers cost, schedule and spatial design for the entirety of the project from conception to demolition to everyone involved in the project. Management of ongoing versus target costing particularly helps avoid potential litigation.
Does my project need a BIM agency?
The design stage any project can cost between 5 – 20% of the total budget, but caution should be erred when deciding whether to cut cost in this area, a lower design spend could lead to problems later and incur unexpected construction costs.
Consider also overall savings in this example:
20% of a $200,000 project is to be spent on design or $40,000 seeking a 5% reduction in this saves $2000 but when we think about the larger construction cost of $180,000 of total budget gaining a 5% reduction here would save a huge $9000. Consider whether this is achievable if you have a more robust design.
What varies the cost of BIM agency input?
Some projects require the use of a civil engineer particularly if they are subject to governmental or other regulations. India is no exception in the last ten years the need for qualified civil engineers has grown with the need for construction. Ensure that a civil engineer is used should this is mandatory but consider it for all complicated projects. It is increasingly likely that a civil engineer will recommend the use of BIM technology due to its significant benefits and potential cost saving.
Various factors will affect the cost of BIM agency involvement such as the level of detail (3D, 4D or 5D) you desire or the project demands. Focusing on the project generally the larger the project, the higher the cost but note that more complicated or special projects such as sewage works or dams will have a higher cost regardless of size. The nature of the workforce may also impact cost. Obviously, a larger workforce takes a larger scale of the organisation to ensure scheduling is fit for purpose. But the involvement of numerous contractors such as electrical, water, gas services, plumbing all need coordination, a greater number of contractors may also increase cost.
The experience of the BIM agency is important as is their understanding of local regulations (which vary both from country to country but also in different states). Obviously, more experienced agencies may command a higher fee, but this must be balanced with potential savings this type of knowledge could gain.
Do I need 5D BIM?
The Indian government has made a significant investment to grow the AECO industry, this along with the development of many mega-structures such as the metro train project has increased focus on the use of technologies including BIM.
The amount of detail needed for each project will vary, but it may be desirable to gain more information at this early stage to reduce construction costs but also remember that 5D BIM looks at the entire life of a project. This will factor in such changes as future greenhouse gas emissions, refurbishment and indeed life expectancy before demolition thus managing ongoing costs as well as initial build. This is potentially crucial for the future of the construction industry in India, being able to construct a building at low cost is desirable but delivering a higher quality construction with a longer lifespan and lower ongoing running costs is highly desirable.
What is the potential saving of using a BIM agency?
While cost will vary from company to company, we can assess the impact both on initial costs of construction and over the lifetime of the building by comparing possible savings.
Having an efficient design produced by a BIM agency could reduce conflict and reworking during construction by up to 55% and improve the quality of the finished structure by 50% leading to higher levels of customer satisfaction and giving an extremely desirable reduction of up to 20% in construction cost. Use of BIM can also improve structural performance by up to 35% meaning the lifespan of the buildings will be longer. If we compare savings over time including operational costs with construction costs a 33% reduction of the total anticipated spend is possible.
Using these figures, our previous construction example with an anticipated spend for construction of $200,000, would potentially reduce to $160,000, giving a massive saving of $40,000 in initial costs.
[This is a general example and exact savings would be the result of numerous factors].
Each project needs a careful cost analysis to compare the cost and savings of various factors. The use of BIM technology and hiring a BIM agency in india to do this is certainly an important one to consider as the potential benefits of avoiding delays and reworking to construction will definitely lead to savings. India has a growing construction need which will drive down the cost of BIM agencies and increase the savings for developers.